January 19, 2015, is the day that the world will celebrate the birthday of the greatest activist, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. As a country currently in its second term with its first black president, it is definitely a testament to how far things have come since King’s time on this Earth.
5 Facts About Martin Luther King, Jr.
- King’s original name was Michael King Jr. Later Michael King Sr. and Michael King Jr. changed their names to Martin Luther after German Protestant leader Martin Luther.
- He was incredibly smart. He only attended two years of high school, skipping ninth and twelfth grade, before making his way to Morehouse College at age 15.
- King is to date the youngest male to win a Nobel Peace Prize, winning it in 1964 at the age of 35 (at the time he was the youngest overall for the Peace Prize).
- MLK is the only non-president with a national holiday in his honor. South Carolina was the last state to recognize Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a holiday in 2000.
- On August 28th 1963 at a historic march in Washington DC for jobs, freedom, racial equality and the end of discrimination Martin Luther King delivered his famous “I have a dream” speech.
Rainy Days Irrigation, Inc. | 115 Sigma Dr. | Garner, NC | (919) 779-9285
Irrigation | Drainage | Backflow | Landscape Lighting