Earth Day is celebrated on April 22nd each year and was founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson in 1970. It was intended to promote ecology and respect for life on the planet as well as to encourage awareness of the growing problems of air, water and soil pollution.
Some people prefer to observe Earth Day around the time of the March equinox. American anthropologist Margaret Mead added her support for the equinox Earth Day in 1978. She supported this particular observance time throwing her support behind John McConnell, another supporter of Earth conservation and whom coined the phrase, “Earth Day.” McConnell was a man with a passion for peace, religion and science throughout his life.
Whenever you chose to observe Earth Day, it’s goal is to inspire awareness of and appreciation for earth’s environment and calls for the protection of our planet. Every day should be Earth Day.
What are you going to do to commemorate Earth Day?
Here are some ideas:
- Plant a tree, or flowers. Clean air!
- Reuse and recycle. Re-purpose materials. Conserve!
- Clean up litter. Adopt a highway. Keep ditches and creeks trash-free.
- Buy, or make earth-friendly products. Chemical-free products.
- Ride your bike instead of driving a car. Reduce air pollution.
- Conserve water. Use sparingly in house and yard.
- Conserve energy. Update your lighting and appliances to ‘Energy Star.’
Simple changes can make a big difference. Make every day Earth Day. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Save energy, water, and money with Rainy Days on your side. Preventative maintenance services are provided by our skilled technicians. Conservation is important to us! Give us a call today. (919) 779-9285
Rainy Days Irrigation, Inc. | 115 Sigma Dr. | Garner, NC | (919) 779-9285
Irrigation | Drainage | Backflow | Landscape Lighting